Thursday, January 27, 2022

Hunter College Memories

 Two week ago, Jeanne Lamont, a friend from college died from cancer. She was a medical doctor. I kept up with her career through Pat Pasqual who was also at Hunter and who had known Jeanne from high school. The last time I spoke with her was during her trip east when she visited Pat. Although I couldn't meet with her at that time, we did chat on the telephone. Her death made me recall the close friendships that I developed while a student at Hunter College of the City University of New York. I haven't seen many of those friends since my Hunter years, we continue to be in touch through each other.

I can remember Friday afternoons when  I would walk over to Roosevelt House on East 65th street. We would meet there to chat, catch up on the latest in your lives, and eat dinner. Sometimes, we would have a speaker come and talk about a topic of interest to us. It was a relaxing time. Through our times at Roosevelt House or during winter break in Connecticut the friendships w5ere nurtured and grew.

The City University of New York is a gem in higher education in the United States. Hunter prepared me for engagement in the world in my professional life. I am grateful. Hunter has structurally changed since I graduated from there in 1969 but I still feel connected to it after over 50 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment