Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Phases

Today marks another phase for me and some friends. Our colleague and friend Brooks Schramm, professor of Old Testament at United Lutheran Seminary (formerly faculty of Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg) departed for California. After three and a half years, he took a call at in Santa Barbara to join his spouse, Dr. Kirsi Stjerna, professor of Reformation History, on the faculty of Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary (part of California Lutheran University). She was on the faculty at Gettysburg. I have known Brooks since his coming to Gettysburg in 1994. A scholar, pastor, and teacher, we were not  only colleagues but good friends. His presence will be missed by students and colleagues. I took he and Kirsi to Dulles Airport this afternoon. Eric Crump was also along. He has known Brooks for about 40 years. Needless to say, I already feel the void.

To be honest, I find endings to be difficult. I know my friendship with Brooks and Kirsi will continue but it will certainly take on a different dimension.  As I grow older endings become too present.


No comments:

Post a Comment