Sunday, June 10, 2018

An Anniversary of 45 years

It seems hard to believe but 45 years ago on this day, June 10, 1973 I was ordained at my home congregation (Epiphany Lutheran) in Brooklyn, New York. I posted the anniversary on my Facebook page and there were a number of comments. Certainly more than I expected. In ministry, Word and Sacrament or Word and Service, there are always ups and downs, but the ups outweigh the down times. I have been blessed by family, congregants, students and colleagues who inspired and supported me over the years.

Prior to this 45th year, I had two significant events that occurred in April. On April 29th my portrait was unveiled in the Wentz library. I was the first African American to be tenured at Gettysburg...I must also say I will be the last since Gettysburg Seminary no longer exits. It is now the Gettysburg campus of United Lutheran Seminary. On April 18, I was awarded the Distinguished Alumni Award for service in ministry but the Alumni Association. My classmate, Bob Musser nominated me. I was certainly humbled by these two events. When I arrived in Gettysburg as a student in September 1969, I never imagined that Gettysburg would play such an important part in my life. I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment